Thursday, June 9, 2011

A friend in need is a friend in deed...

Such is life... such is me.  I am in need, and so I write.  It's been for-ever.  But, I guess that's the trick of the "good blogger"... having something to say (that people want to read) on a regular basis.  I just don't feel that I do.  But, I digress.  Today's post is utterly selfish.  I want a MAKEOVER!!!

Nicole Balch, an Oak Parker (eh?), an entrepreneur/ home decorator-extraordinaire - and one of my absolute favorite bloggers (Making it Lovely) - is hosting a contest in partnership with American Express to give away lots-o-lots-o points to spend AND a design plan for a "social space" make over.  And, I have THE SPACE for this project!!  She'd design it, and I'd spend the 150,000 points making it happen!!!  Come ooonnnnnnnn lucky 7's!  Or whatever.

I'd love to make-over my "family room"/"kids playroom"/"space with no real purpose" in the basement.  We spend a lot of time there, as it's filled with colorful and loud kids toys, but it's not exactly a "family" room - they own the whole damned basement!  Those little rascals.  The ideal set up for the basement would have logical and definite boundaries between spaces.  *cough* and, no wood paneling *cough*.  There are three spaces right now, but they all blend and intrude on each other's spaces.  Well, the "adult" side - where we parents are allowed our 1 - 2 hours of weekly movie viewing over pizza (eaten on the kids' picnic table) is run over with kids crap toys.  We wouldn't dare intrude on their playroom.  G*d forbid.  That's obvious space #2, the play room.  I like it now, foam mats all over, toys and a wall of gates/couches to indicate where the playroom (should) begin and the rest of the family room begins.  However, toys are everywhere.  At least I know where to put all of them away.  Right?

Then, there's the "whatever you call it" space that is off-center, but basically a thorofare to the "TV room" and "playrooms" and has two pieces of beautiful, antique wood furniture that basically blend into our hideous wood paneling.  *so help me G*d, if I ever met the inventor of the Brady Bunch wood paneling, I'd give him/her a scowl and a "hmpf" and leave their presence all bewildered and out of breath!* Gads.  It's awful.

So, since we spend so much time playing and hanging out in this space, I'd really REALLY love to have it look awesome!!!  So.... Nicole!  Ms. Balch.  Awesome blogstress... PLEASE consider my "family room"/"kids playroom"/"space with no real purpose" as the most worthy of the AE/ MiL makeover!!!  Photos, you ask?  Well... prepare to be blown away!

 Stairwell to the right, laundry straight ahead

 Space with no purpose
 Between space with no purpose and play room - "baby side"
 "Toddler side" of the playroom
"Adult corner"

We don't want to "kick the kids out" of the "Adult Corner" per se... but with our whole lives focused on the raising of these two little beauties, we'd like to have some boundaries and space to call our own...

Wish us luck!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'll send good luck vibes your way. I'm sure you'd love having a place that feels like it's truly yours, vs. just 'making do' with the current space. Putting your signature on it would be a fun process, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, so excited to see what you do! I SO want to do that. You have to come here and see my "1979" house.

    ReplyDelete